I've come along way in the last few years, and I can only hope I'm getting better. I really enjoy it now, the art of putting together the perfect meal. Hopefully soon I'll learn to photograph it as well, so that you don't have to suffer my horrendous cell phone pics.
What can you expect from me though, in terms of recipes here at citc? Well, you're going to get a mixed bag. I try, quite hard, to provide my family a well-balanced, mostly organic diet. I'm a big fan of the 100 Days of Real Food blog, and I try to stay away from processed foods and evil things like HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) as much as possible. I subscribe to Door to Door Organics, as I've mentioned here before, and I buy organic milk and eggs, chicken and beef.
But, we're not 100% there yet with everything, and I still rely on some "convenience" items. I still try to make sure they have a decent ingredient list, and you'd be surprised how many big label brands provide pretty some simple stuff lately. One of the things I've used recently, in my chicken pizza recipe, is Prego Veggie Smart Pizza Sauce. It's simple; tomatoes, vegetable purees, and spices. But it comes in a jar, and lately that has a stigma. It also has a bit of a higher sodium content. But you don't need a lot to go a long way, and it is packed with some good veggies.
I'll always do my best to disclose any really questionable ingredients that come up along the way. <evil laugh>
And without further ado, a great recipe a friend of mine found via everyone's favorite site to both love and hate, Pinterest. It's from the blog - The Girl Who Ate Everything. This is modified a bit from her recipe, but not by much. Photo also by gwae.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 1/2-1 cup Caesar Dressing (we used Brianna's)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Hamburger buns, slider buns, or tortillas to serve on
- Season chicken breasts w/ black pepper.
- Place in crock-pot and cover with water (about 1/2-1 cup).
- Cook on low heat 4-6 hours, then remove chicken with slotted spoon and drain/clean crock-pot.
- Shred chicken, removing any fat.
- Mix chicken, Caesar Dressing, Parmesan Cheese, pepper and parsley.
- Return to crock-pot for half an hour on low, or simmer over low heat on the stove for 20-30 mins.
- Adorn with lettuce and serve on buns, tortillas or even over salad.
Delicious! This is honestly the best new recipe I've tried in months.