Now, if you don't mind the occasional cream-of soup, or using canned rolls, then I urge you to try this recipe as is. We made it tonight and I'm still thinking about it.
However, in light of my recent pledge to eat healthier and cleaner, I want to try to make this recipe better. I'm pretty sure that with a little digging I could find a recipe for home-made dumplings, but if you have one you'd like to share, please do!
My real challenge lies in replacing the cream of chicken & mushroom soup. Tonight I used just that; an actual combination of both soups in one can. That just screams healthy, no? (wink,wink)
Still, it was delicious, and I fear it may be hard to replace the soup and still achieve the same level of deliciousness. Which is why I'm turning it over to you, the reader. Come up with a suitable replacement, and I'll try it out and report back. Let's see if we can clean this one up.
Crock-Pot Chicken & Dumplings
- Cut chicken into bite site pieces; season with salt, pepper & paprika to taste.
- Combine soup, chicken broth, and water in crock pot, stirring well to mix.
- Add chicken, onion, carrots, peas, and garlic.
- Cook 4-5 hours on high (or 7-8 hours on low) *Note that mixture will still be soupy at this point.
- Tear crescent rolls into pieces, ball the dough and add to crock pot.
- Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes on high.